Thursday, August 17, 2017

Day 21,

Wind whipped my tent most of the night.  I woke around red sky time, packed, and sat by the lodge for a whike.  The breakfast buffet well worth the time in the morning.

Got on the trail around 9 am. Caught Noodle and a few other around 11.  I made Ramona Falls by 1.30 PCT mile 2104 ish .  Ramona Falls is the site of a recent tragedy, 2 day hikers lost their lives here, from what I can tell they may have done something they should not have.  This place is supper awesome and mellow.  The falls roll down a steep cascades in dense northwest forest.

Making tracks again.

PCT mile 2116, Salvatiin Spring and tent site, down, down, and up down up then a little vibrato thrown in for good luck, PS let's carved a trail into steep as can be mountain several times.  One of those times led to great view of MT Sandy err Mount  Hood.  The mountain is carved by many forces of water from glaciers to run off.

Crossing Sandy River PCT mile 2104, is the most difficult thing of this area.  Raging at low times, I looked up and down the swath of river bed a football field long.   A bit of drift wood served nicely as a bridge, being careful, I used the trekking poles for balance and made safe way.  The river today but 20 ft wide.

I'm set this eveing with a group of thru-hikers and weekenders.  I'm the deepest in the woods, up close to the spring will be lots of condensation in the morning.  I plan to split the next two days, 28 miles, such that I low mile into Cascade Locks.

With the extra food I carry, I've let one other he thru-hikers I know raid my bag for a meal as she skipped her latest resupply thinking the same as i, that we are doing bigger miles than planned, she thought she had plenty but will squeak into town a might thin.  I'm at the point where I don't care about food, it's in the bag.

Time to write a moment I  the other journal.

Hike on.  Hike Wise.

No comments: