Sunday, June 22, 2014

Timber

I stopped briefly to chart with a few hikers I hadn't seen since beginning the Shenandoahs.  April passed us.  A while later I head off.  Moments later I am upon her standing in the trail.  With excitement she says, "Look what I found." There in the middle of the trail a big fat timber rattlesnake.  I poke at it with my hiking stick gently.  The snake coiled.  I back away.

A few minutes later the others come to the party.  After a round of photos, we discuss how to move Mr nice unhappy guy from our pathway.  The options are get a bigger stick, walk off trail, or squirt water.  As we discuss the options the snake begins to move away.  We opt for a bigger stick.

We each step to the far side of the trail keeping an eye on the creature whose space we invaded.

No comments: