Monday, August 08, 2016

Reviews

This is a disclaimer piece on why I write about gear and this piece talks a lot about gear and something I got to participate in over the weekend.
.
A quick question at work drew me into looking at my own work schedule,  as I logged into one of the many side programs we use, I saw I had Thursday and Friday off.  Ops, who cares, I'll use the Paid Time Off another time.  While at work, I asked a friend for her boy friend's number, since he wasn't at work that day.  A few text messages later, I had instructions on how to get into one of Salt Lake's finest and largest conventions, the Outdoor Retailer Exposition.  My friend's boy friend who is also my friend helps run Emberlit/Merkware.  I've reviewed the Fire Ant titanium firebox stove while last on the Tahoe Rim Trail several months ago.
.
A kid in a candy store with a small allowance, is what I thought as I waited outside the Salt Palace near the tents set up on Abravano Hall's lawn, part of the Expo.  "Every square inch of space is used" my friend stated.  He wasn't kidding from the very entrance to a massive complex of temporary venue tents across South Temple (street).
.
I saw Tom Hennessey pedaling his hammocks.  I had to let him know I finished the AT since I got my hammock from him at Trail Days in Damascus VA two summers ago.  I let him record a quick testimonial video for promo.  His hammocks are bomb proof, meaning very durable. However they are not the lightest on the market, they will hold up to and last beyond the AT thru-hike.
.
We hit Sawyer Filter's booth a moment later. They've helped start an initiative to certify the claims made by the water filter industry on the water quality of their products.  One would have thought this was done a long time ago.  Sawyer is updating their back flush method to a small threaded ring that screws onto the original Sawyer filter and on to a clean squeeze bag.  These rings are available on line at Sawyer's website and on Amazon.
.
Half a dozen stops and finally at the Emberlit booth, fitting for their bushcraft image, lodgepole framed table and merchandise board.  I doubt it was half the size of a small booth at any given restaurant. Even though this day was the last day of the show, people wandered by.  After a quick intro to the his business partner, we were off to check out the novelty items.  My friend is rather out going with an eye for like minded camping style outdoor gear.  Though he'd rather carry a 45lbs pack 5 miles in, and I a 15 lbs pack 20 miles in, the quality of gear must meet high standards of durability.  It's were one puts the objectives of the outings to be.  Hence when I lay out my reviews I state what my intention of to be.  For example search for my review of the Fire Ant stove.
.
As we wandered through the halls and ballrooms pushing beyond capacity, I noticed a lot of water sport focus.  The paddle board industry continues to increase.  I could only imagine what Jordanel (sp) Reservoir looked like earlier this week, a second location of the show just beyond Park City.  We didn't pass through the mountain bike area, nor the rock climing/mountaineering areas.  We hit a few knife manufacturers and titanium gear places.  We did stumble upon Disk Golf.  I haven't thrown for a few years but still have a full set of disks from when I lived a block from one of the disk golf parks.  He got two sets of three disks, a starter pack, for him and his girl.  If she's reading this I hope I'm not spoiling a surprise.
.
I enjoyed the wander.  I can say it's nice to play with the gear I can see on line.  I didn't see any, or recognize any, yet to be released gear. I was under the impression this Expo was no photography allowed.  There were a few items I pondered on 'how does that work' that I got to see how that works.  I didn't see Zpacks or ULA-equipment, two cottage manufacturers of light weight gear for long distance hikers.  I did get to play with a few pieces from TOAKS Titanium.  I'll do a review of the 450ml pot in a few weeks.  I did get to see CRKT'S knife dispay.  They make a tiny spork that is available nationwide in outdoor displays.  What caught my attention is a lightweight folding knife that is spring less, 1 1/2 inch blade, at an ounce.  It seemed like for every ultra-light knife I picked up, my friend picked up a medium sized hunting knife.  A style I'll carry for when this ultra-light phase phases out.
.
Honestly there is a lot of gear on the market that is not at this show for the expanse of the market.  The little guys who are at this show have something that can be upscaled to meet the needs of the larger markets.  Head to your local out fitters and look for Emberlit's fire box stoves, you'll find them.  Look for other little guys who are making head way into the larger markets,  you'll find them.  Sometimes it starts as a hobby that catches, sometimes it's an idea that is developing over and over a rough road.
.
As the show closed, I helped the fellas at Emberlit pack down.  We hit sushi afterwards where I got to know a friend of theirs from Rocky Mountain Bushcraft.  He told me of the rough road of making his name known when the big dogs slight handed him over and over.  Cover Yourself and protect what you know, we're two pieces of wisdom he imparted.  Rocky Mountain Bushcraft released a set of Wilderness Guides covering Medicinal Plants of the Rockies and another on Edible Plants of the Rockies that are worth taking with as they're on study waterproof paper.
.
My intention is to hike and write about hiking.  When I write about a piece of gear, it's because I'm using it now or am using something similar.  I've paid full cost or have a 'work for trade' agreement.  In the photography forums on can easily find threads talking about 'turn and burns' which is photography given without editing.  One can find threads talking of people just starting out giving away photos for publicity, aka work for trade.  I fought hard to get feedback on images I presented.  I busted hard to make sure my name was on work I did for publicity.  I fought and fought for expectations of what people wanted and for what I wanted as a result of doing.   I lost on all fronts to the point I pulled the batteries out of all camera bodies and flashes.  I shelved my passion at the time with a big exclamation of disappointment and a sinless finger salute.  I covered myself and made known the expections, still got burned in ugly ways. The first thing I do if I obtain a piece for review is establish expections.  What do you expect from me.  I'm not only protection the provider, I'm laying out my expections.  If it's a product sample, I'll try it and write a little on it.  If it's gear, I'll put it through my paces including some new be mis-use of it.  I give my raw feedback.  I don't have an editor.  I'm not staffed or paid.  This a hobby.  I write and I hike for they are fun.  I'll say too, I wouldn't mind recouping my costs.
.
Now back to the story.
.
As we unloaded the van at the office I noticed a shelf of prototypes, dozens would be an exaggeration of the few.  Emberlit tests and tests setting out their expectations for what they want to achieve then modifing the piece to achieve the expectation. Their work on the market is 99% perfect.  On the end sits an unreleased model.  My friend stated earlier that some of these are being used in under-developed lands with great efficiency, an unintended positive humanitarian result, inadvertently fighting human trafficking.  The users are gathering less wood and other burn able material thus limiting their time away from the safety of the village.
.
I've got some other things to tackle in the next few days.  I do want to give on last shout out to Emberlit, thanks for the opportunity to hang out over the weekend.
.
If one is looking for a gram weanie stove where fires are not banned, check out the Emberlit Ti Fireant.  I tossed it into my 750ml last night and it does fit without my lid on it.  Don't forget the spoon half of the sprongs for eating utensil.
.
Hike On!

No comments: