Saturday, August 13, 2016

Arrival Day

While my friends were cutting z's I got on the road.  I knew every mile extra I made on the trail would be less for tomorrow.  I caught a photo of the sunrise through a solitary tree at the Wendover rest stop.  Minutes later I entered  the Pacific time zone.
.
The drive went uneventful as it should.  I found the Mount Rose Hwy south of Reno and shortly there after I was in TRT territory.  I picked up my Wilderness permit as CA requires for the Desolation Wilderness everyone register.  A little bit of construction traffic through the chaos that is Lake Tahoe and I was at my trailhead.
.
I filled my water container with some bottled water I brought with, readied myself, and was off. Up, up, and away!  I headed up a draw to Page Meadows and around to Ward Creek. I shaved a few miles off tomorrow which is good as my first 2 will be up, up and ridgeline.  Then down, up, and down.
.
I will embrace the up, for if there were no up, there would be no down, or at least the TRT would look a whole lot different.  With no up, where would the mountain tops be?
.
I'm enjoying the gentle rolling sound of Ward Creek and the company of non-biting flying things.
.
Hike On!
.
PS I hope my sky view will let me see a bit of the meteors shower, the moon however is rising
.
Tip: Tahoe area camping, use a hammock or a free standing tent.  I've rocked down my tent pegs.  Not even msr ground hog stakes hold.
.
Tip #2: mountain house Spaghetti rehydrates with cold water
.
Tips #3: check that your stove & canister work before leaving. I finally got this BRS micro stove to work for my tea.  The TOAKS to 450ml is a dream come true.

No comments: