Thursday, August 11, 2016

Hiker to Trail

I hung a thumb bum sign at my desk, 'hiker to trail' subheading, 'I need to finish what I started.'  The last week's been a rush with the Expo, getting my gear finalized, and double checking my menu.  Last night I fired off the itinerary to the folks.  I knew I had a few weeks off this month originally planned for some Uinta's backpacking trips.  I'll keep them in mind for September.  King's Peak still has a sign on it, saying come to my Summit.
.
I haven't talked this leg up with too many folks.  I'm kinda embarrassed by not completing the TRT in one go but, I look back and realized attitudes play a huge part of finishing.  Not only finishing, attitudes are a big part of the enjoyment of the journey.  The fact that I met conditions I planned for yet had never encountered before was interesting twist as well.
.
I might not meet any PCT thru-hikers in the Desolation Wilderness, this will be a bummer but I will get to see some mountains of incredible awesomeness.  I wonder just how bad the mosquitoes will be? Ryder Lake bad?  Eh so, I've pretreated my clothes and have plenty of repellent.  What of the bears?  I hope not.  Not all of my 6 1/2 days of food fit into the Ursack.  Unless told, I won't carry a bear bagging cord.  It's not the weight rather the inconvenience, last time I did not see any descent trees to hang food from.
.
I sit enjoying the evening.  Half of the fun is rushing so that the last day is not a rush.  Early to rise to see the sunrise in the mirror.
.
Hike on!

No comments: