Thursday, August 18, 2016

Day 5, Freel Meadows

Rising early, I caught reflections on the water of Showers Lake.  I tend to like the reflection photos better than any other kind for lakes.  The stillness of the day surrounds me in those moments.  I also jumped up to a nearby view point a hundred feet away from my camp, wow a great view right into the rising sun.
.
The PCT section hiker caught up to me.  He thought he had another hour to hike.  I could easily played him last night, nah, I'm to nice.
.
2 miles south the TRT splits to the north from the PCT.  One day I'll be back at this same spot.  In this meadow a lone cabin sets surrounded by rolling canyon walls.
.
2 miles north is Round Lake.  Still early enough I caught reflections photos.  Score, two lakes today with reflections.  These would be the only lakes.  The rest are meadows and some views.
.
At Big Meadows trailhead I sat to tend my feet, let the useless solar panel catch some rays, and eat lunch.  While there, a fellow pulled in and recognized me from Richardson Lake.  He asked if there was anything I needed, beer, batteries,  jalapeño chips.  I forgot to get water at Big Meadows as two horses stood in the creek so, water.  This is now my third trail magic of this trip.  Water, something that simple can go along way.
.
I bounded up Grass Lake trail to the top.  It's 1,000 feet over 2 1/2 miles.  Not an issue even while carrying 3 litters of water.  This section from Grass Lake to Star Lake is dry, we'll almost. Near the top, a few meadows dot the landscape, it began to sprinkle.  Meanwhile at the bottom of my pack is all my rain gear and none of my gear is in plastic bags.  I pulled out my clear ground sheet, wrapping myself pack up, I made way.
.
The AT got me use to hiking in rain.  Rain gear is used on laundry day, as dry clothes around camp, or for regulating body heat on cold days.  Only in extreme cases did one don rain gear while it rained.  The rain didn't get heavy, yet.
.
At one view, I rested and checked/sent messages.  The view included South Tahoe's airport.
.
As I made way over Freel Pass and Meadows, I coukd easily see why people in the spring got lost.  The trail follows no natural contour or meadow, or ridge line.  Freel Meadows, itself, has a small stream in it.  I could hear it running but did not see a trail to it.
.
At one view a tent popped up.  I chatted with the couple there.  They were counterclockwise hikers too.  As I finished a quick snack the rain returned.   Okay, ridgeline, rain, tent, okay I hoped the weather would break for their safety.  Indeed 2 hours later the sky cleared.
.
For another 1/2 hour I hiked with my plastic wrapper on.  The ridges cloaked in mystery.  It was just neat.
.
I walked through the land of Bonanza.  The juniper pines doted with large rocks.  I think they filmed the 50's pioneer TV series is near by.
.
I found the place where another hike told me water would be along the path to Anderson's Pass.  I'd say half a mile south of the next path.  This isn't an ideal camp setting for the land is not flat. Oh where is that hammock of mine?  I will say the spring is untouched.  I still filtered, for garda and I don't want to be friends.
.
Tomorrow will be a near zero.  I'll hit Star Lake by 10 am where I'll kick back the rest of the day, possibly two nights.
.
Being off the grid is fun, relaxing, and refreshing.  To be away from the hustle and bustle of daily commuter life can do wonders.  My feet carry me to the next spot along the way.  Short miles like today's 16 or yesterday's long 16, it doesn't matter, life is listening to the breeze, the screech of a hawk, or spying a deer before it sees you.
.
The sky cleared, I ponder as I write day light left, do I drop the tent and sleep under the sky?  Maybe tomorrow.
.
Hike on!

No comments: