Monday, August 22, 2016

Red Castle, day 2, base camp

The night was a bit chilly then again I did do a quick gear swap of the pad and left the sleeping bag liner home.  I lay in bed until the sun peaked the horizon.  At that moment I leaped to my feet, took a few photos of the sun on the lake and moutain.  I made hot coffee using an esbit tablet in the Fireant.  I continued to enjoy the morning.
.
I readied myself for a day hike, leaving everything else in the tent.  I wrapped around to Smith's Fork.  Making my way along I heard an awful sound on the wind.  This trail scuttle along the westside avoiding the meadows.  At an over look, I saw the ruckus, sheep, about 100 head.
.
As the trail topped out, I took a break with the valley below and the basin behind.  There were no lakes in the valley, just them noisy sheep and their shepherds.
.
I decided to follow the trail up through the basin.  I began to follow a faint trail above the Smith's Pass Lake.  I paused often for the altitude approached 12,000.
.
The pass s sprawling, no steep portions, no tricky approaches, etc.  I found a big rock and took a nap.  I did look at the map whike up there, too.  The Highline Trail connects about a mile south. This end is the top of one of the basins I've planned a hike into.  I was amazed by the vast openness of what I saw including the cliff faced mountains next to scree slopes.
.
Noticing building clouds I took off.  It's funny how down goes so much faster than up. A hint of rain loomed. I got to my camp long before any sprinkles and a little wind.
.
I played a bit with my camera settings and some of the programmed filters.  Why didn't I do that on top?  The dramatic setting really pops the mood of the clouds and lake. I might have gone overboard with using it this afternoon.
.
I tried my fiero rod into some old camp coals, no go.  I tried it into cotton balls, works to good.  Now I know, fibrous materials is what it takes to get this thing to work.  I did get my lighter to work one more time for dinner.
.
I'm sitting by the glassy lake.  A few fishermen work their fly lines a ways up. Crazy beautiful.
.
The clouds are still present, no longer building with the day.  Last night the weather broke and I had Milkyway deluxe above me.  I ponder if tonight will be the same?
.
Hike On!

No comments: