Thursday, August 18, 2016

Day 7, exit day

As the sun set last night I chose to pack down the tent to sleep under the sky.  A full moon rose over head to wash out all but the brightest of stars.  I awoke at first light, sat up wrapping myself up I the quilt until the alarm sang.  Yes, even though time holds nothing g out here, I still like to get moving early and to do that I set something to remind myself to get moving.
.
I was packed by 7 am sitting by the lake watching light dance on high trees.  Shortly after on the trail.
.
The trail moved quickly mostly down with some up as I went through the Heavenly Ski Resort area.  I reflected that most of the zones were similar across the region.  The last place I saw the changers on such a regular basis was in the Smokies, where the zones moved with altitude.  I couldn't place how or why the zones here change.
.
I hit NV hwy 207.  I was done.  My TRT hike came to a close at a pretty unassuming road crossing.  I hike up to the restaurant on Tramway. Ate a burger then another adventure began.
.
Catching the buses weren't an issue.  Like clock work, on time, and expected.  At my last stop I noticed a little sign taped to the bench, "runs only on weekends"  I was suck.  How now do I get from South Lake Tahoe to Tahoe City without hitching?  Hitching in CA is not allowed.  I don't know all the rules but I know here would not be the time to find out about the wrong ones.
.
I walked a bock or two to the out fitters. This area is known as the Y in South Lake Tahoe.  The out fitters had a list of Trail Angels helping out PCT hikers.  May be one would help me all the way or at least to Tahoma where buses resume.  Short of a dozen calls later on a dying phone  battery, I made contact with one willing to take me all the way.
.
1/2 later I threw my pack into the back of his pickup truck.  An avid hiker himself he noticed hikers needing rides so he started picking them up, eventually he let his name be added to the list of Trail Angels.  The time flew by and I noticed we were passing my stop.  All he asked for in exchange was a photo of me and my pack.
.
The TRT'S taught me loads when it comes to trip planning that the AT did not.  Alot of my preparation cane from the AT.  This one definitely taught me more about transportation than anything else when it comes to resupply and trail logistics.  These will definitely be considered in the future.
.
I've noticed also on this trip, every other day someone has done something for me.  A package of beef jerky, a jug of water, today I asked specifically for the item and someone went out of their way for me.  It wasn't for the lack of planning that this happened, I just failed to consider not all buses run everyday, something us urbanites take for granted.
.
I forgot to mention.  On the way down from Star Lake there aren't very many camp able sites.  If you read this consider going from South Camp right though to Star Lake.  PS it's a dry section.
.
I sit as light fades not at a campsite rather at a hostel in Kings Beach.  No moon or stars for me tonight.  A hot shower came and passed already.  Another fast tip, always carry your own soap especially if you might hostel it. I had just enough in my backpack.
.
I still have time off so where to hike now?  I hope this read is enjoyable.  Please let me know how I can improve your reading enjoyment.
.
Hike on!

No comments: