Friday, August 26, 2016

Conglomeration

I sit at one of my favorite Wasatch lakes, Red Pine, sipping hot licorice and mint tea brewed over a hastily made alcohol stove and windscreen.  I recognize it's days later than when I last left the Uinta's. So here's the rundown.
.
I chose to leave Red Castle earlier than planned due to the cool of the night.  I essentially had a summer kit that did not include room for the cooler temps of 4 am.  Cold I was not.  Prepared I was however the forecast also called for rain the last time I checked, over Tuesday.  I met a few hiking in who said the forecast now included snow.  Yeah, no.  So I am glad I bailed.  Red Castle is worth a 3 hour drive and 5 hour hike in to see.  I've posted a few photos on my Flickr site and will post more.
.
Wednesday I took off to hike the Butler Fork Loop.  It's 8 miles, more if you add detours to Dog Lake, Reynolds Peak, Mill A, and others. I took off towards Reynolds and tagged Dog Lake.  I quickly wrapped around the basin and into Mill A.  Sometimes I'll add Mt Raymond, this time I chose not to, instead I added Maxfield Basin.  I noted some of the under brush beginning to change colors and most of the grass is dry.  A few groves of aspen show black speckles on their leaves.  I ponder, will this be a short color season and an early winter if this is happening in August which normally doesn't start till September?
.
On my way down (Butler Loop), near the first/last trail junction I happened into a moose a bit too close for comfort.  The under brush and willows are still thick enough not to see far in this particular spot weaving along the creek.  Since he owns this area I gave wide berth as I detoured around him.
.
I will give complements to the Forest Service's trail crews for making some improvements to the trails this summer. They've worked on sections of the Desolation Trail in Butler Fork, towards Desolation Lake, Mill A, above Maxfield Basin, and others.  They've leveled out, added switchbacks, attempted to narrow the ever widening paths, as well as do general trail management.  Please respect their work and do not create any new trails, cut switchbacks, add carins, etc.  The Forest Service does not have the manpower nor the resources to effectively police and steward.  Please if you see something a miss, report it.  If you see someone doing something not right, be strategic in saying something to them.  If you see trash, take it out. Or a switchback being cut, block it with a few branches.  Our public lands are all of our responsibility, not just a few persons.
.
A chilly wind crosses Red Pine.  I know weather is moving in for tomorrow.  This might be the last time I get up here before snow fall.  The Salt Lake Tribune calls this place one of Salt Lake's top hiking destinations.  It's easy to see why with groves of aspens and evergreens, the alpine lake within an easy reach of the Valley, surrounded by towering granite mountains.  All that and a moderate hike for most people.
.
Hike on!

No comments: