Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Steven's Pass to Stehekin

I did not write a daily blog for this leg of my journey as I was unsure of power outlets available in Stehekin.  If I was not able to recharge my phone, I would loose a major navigational aid, the Guthook's Guide app that uses the phone's GPS to put me in precise locations.  I do carry the HalfMile paper maps of the PCT.  The convenience of the app helped me as I am a landmark hiker, meaning I like to hike from landmark to landmark.  My powerbank battery aka brick would have given me the charge I needed from here to Hart's Pass.

I'm getting off the PCT again this time not for issues of self.  I am sure by now you have heard on the news there is a wild fire north of highway 20.  I am making the choiceto bail here as it is "easier" to get to Stehekin in the future than to Rainy Pass on highway 20.

There is more to leaving the trail than hitchhiking.  Stehekin is off the grid and off the highway system.  I am looking at options now to get into Seattle.  One step at a time, one location at a time.  I'm trying to avoid hotels but, if I must, I will.

I did say the adventure is in the unknown.  This journey definitely has plenty of unknowns.

Getting out of Hiker Haven/the Dinsmore's took about 45 minutes of effort.  It's a highway hitch of 35 miles.  Staying at the hostel is worthwhile and Mr Dinsmore is an awesome character.  The resupply options are limited on his side of the pass.  If I were to redo that section, find a hotel or stay at the KOA in Levenworth.  The fellow who pucked me up did so because of the PCT hiker sign.

I climbed out of Steven's Pass motivated, not by miles, but by flies and mosquitoes.  Vahala Lake is a redo day hike, if anyone goes to that area, after that not much else to see without overnights.  Depending on the resource I eithe did a 25 or 27 mile day. Guthook and HalfMile are out of sync.

The next day came with some views and more miles.  I can't recall amything worthy of note except I will forever hate ferns as they hide the trail tread and I did a lot of tripping.  Also ferns like to grow everywhere in this State.  The worst of the ferns come with step switch backs.  Wait this is the day I encountered what the Sobo's called the bog which gave rise to near half a mile of wet to fooded trail.  I'd picked up some flip flops which helped keep my feet from slipping and my shoes dry while my feet froze in the snow melt running throught the dense forest.

My day coming out of the Kennedy Creek area took a slogging, brushy, wet 6 mile up hill that took 5 hours.  I topped out at Fire Creek Pass to the land of snowfields and beauty.  I chose not to take a dip in Mica Lake, which is still 90% covered in ice as i had 14 more miles to hike includ8 g the 12 odd mile traverse of Millcreek.  Millcreek not the polite hiking area outside of SLC, rather imagine 8 miles of switch backs from Fire Creek Pass to the bottom anf 5 miles up the otherside.  60 odd switchback which is a kin to hell.

On top I traversed to Molly Vista camp which redeems the hellish switchbacks.  Molly Vista ranks in the top 5 campsites ever bucking South Moutain on the TRT for the number one spot.  I coud see up the Suiattle Creek drainages, many moutain peaks, and a colum of smoke.  Tha colum ended up being a smoky illegal campfire per a hiker I met the following day.

The next day's hike was more switchbacks through the Suiattle rea but, not covered in ferns.  Did I tell you how I'll forever hate ferns?  The day passed quickly and I made 20 miles by 4 pm.  I routed through some incredible basins akin to Broad's Fork BCC but, way more open and a lot more late snow.  The final push came with 500ft up that I convinced myself was only 300.  The campsite in another large open basin.

The final hiking day, I aimed for High Bridge Ranger Station by 4, which became 3, and ended with as soon as possible.  I missed the 12:30 bus by 6 minutes, bawh!  This miss lead to other hiker conversations.

The bus stops by the Stehekin Bakery which is a must do as the pasteries are amazing else I'm that hunger focused after 107 miles in 4 1/2 days.  Days filled with highs on mountain passes than lows.  I hear the stretch I just did is rougher overall than all of the Sierra's.  I will admit I pushe myself hard but, did I tell you flies and mosquitoes are great motivational speakers?  They encouraged me to move the first two days and the next two days were motivated more by water sources and campsite selections.  Ending the day on a mountain top is also a great motivation for one more...

I made quick miles into Stehekin.  Missed shower hours but, the lake is wonderfully refreshing.  At the most delicious sweet roll ever or was that the miles talking instead? Got an over priced burger but, look at the map and you'll see why it's expensive, no highway or power to this town.

Today's been chilling, looking for info to get off the trail, and being interviewed by one of the Park Service's staff as there are two strikes (lightning)  to the south that are being monitored.  So far there isn't any closures issed there, correction a Sobo just told me they are not letting anyone leave tonight.  Well call me a marshmallow in a s'more, this trek is far from story-less.

I hope this isn't too long to bounce if so I'll share again later.


No comments: