Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Day 10

Into Steven's Pass


The sky filled with stars, the moon at my back.  I watched Casiopia rise and set.  Ah star gazing.

Made a quick exit, on the trail by 6:15.  I enjoyed the views going up and down into the next area.


Met a group of young men at one of the lakes.  My standard greeting for groups of youth is, "What troop are you with?"  One will shout it back.  I'll respond with my BSA Council, Troop number, and the year I made Eagle Scout.  It is good to see them out here, young men with adult males.  This is what the politicians and Social Justice Warriors miss, boys need role models to develope into thriving members of society as individauls and to see the interdependence of society theough a variety of skills and more. They need mature men to help them with tough questions like hormonal changes, how to deal with bullies and tough situations, how treat others right, and a few other guy only stuff. It's not about privilege or right, it's an inherent need and part of the development into maturity.  If you are associated with a fraternal order, civic group, or religious organization that has a BSA troop please step up and volunteer.  I am pround to be an Eagle but, ashamed of what the organization has become.  I welcome the conversation if you want.

I hit my major climbs and descents before 1 pm.  After I had some 600ft climbs to conquer.  I sit now at a lake in between these two 600's.  The next one takes me into Steven's Pass ski area.

I'm looking forward to clean socks by day's end at the Dinsmore's.  I here Jerry is a great host and hikers keep him well blessed.

Petra's Road to Zion is today's brain worm.  I actually know the whole song, for once.

How about all those blog posts?  Yes, I arrived at Steven's Pass ski area.  I've never been so thankful to see ski lifts.  No Snowbird this does not mean you can expand into my favorite LCC side canyon...

Time to celebrate Pioneer Day non-LDS style with a pie and a beer or at least a beer.

I got my resupply from the Lodge.  Sat outside for a bit then hitched to Dinsmore's.  For over 10 years Dinsmore's have put hikers up on their property in a tiny community called Baring, about 15 miles off trail.  Baring nor Skykomish is the place to resupply.

No one was around when I arrived but another hiker.  I helped myself to a shower out back and in my laundry in the hiker hut.  About an hour later the neighbor who lives in an RV on the property showed up.  I was good to set my tent up any where.

I sat down to work on food.  I haven't eaten very much and carrying the extra weight is tiresome.  This next leg is 100 miles.  I figure 5 to 6 days.  I'm keeping most of te he ProBars.  Getting rid of oatmeal and Cliff Bar.  Keeping the comfort food and grabbing Ramen from the hiker box. I hate tosing away food but, when I walked in here with enough leftovers to go 4 more days, I needed to do something.  I did grab canisters from the hiker box to fix dinner.  I used up the dregs of other's.  Hiker box find added to my

Eventually the others came back from dinner in Skykomish.  I hung in the dorm until after 9 swapping stories of the trail.  They tell me this next section has a bunch of brush and brutal ups and downs.  I described my ups and downs.  Craig's PCT Planner settled the elevation debate.  I'll have it easy.   They're in for some major climbs.

We moved the conversation outside to the fire pit.  Jerry joined us bringing out hot dogs.  

Hike on.  Hike Wise.



No comments: