Sunday, July 15, 2018

Show and tell

After dinner it was time to reset the pack from travel mode to hike mode.  I dumped out the contents of the food bag, the box of food sent a head to my friend's, and the rucksack across my friend's living room floor.  Their boys asked about many pieces of gear.  I explained what it was and why I carried it.  I'll admit, it's a bit heavier than I want.  I erred on the side of safety.  Once loaded, Ryan hoisted it up on their shoulders.  Probably the most fun I've had for a while watching youngsters with packs on.

I met Mercy eons ago before they dated.  She helped with the m/v Caribbean Mercy, of Mercy Ships, pubilic relations tour in South Korea. He served with the deck department on a different vessel with Mercy Ships in England where they met. They kept in contact after leaving that vessel, later married, and had a family.

I was the cook on the Caribbean Mercy for many years including the public relations tour to her home nation.  Mercy and I caught up as I left the PCT last September.  She offered a place for me to stay when I came back to their area.

In the morning the trail begins...

One thing about the trails, it's about the people along the way that make it even more special.

Hike on, Hike wise

No comments: