Thursday, June 30, 2016

On the Drive

One would not expect to wake up with your manager's voice in your head genuinely asking what did you learn while on vacation.  I did and I know it wasn't him rather my mind playing out on me.  What did I learn?
.
First, some times last season's tools are need for a while into the next.  My example here would be, knowing I was in a hip season between spring and summer, I should carry my traction aids, microspikes. Even around life, the tools I learn to use effectively last season, are need now.
.
Next, don't get off the plan.  I set out with a detailed plan that was working for people going the opposite way when we talked about places and water sources.  I got off track listening to them talk about snow levels and didn't steer myself back.
.
Third, don't let others get into your head and let their opinions about the hardships  get you off track.  Rather, ask them a few more questions directed back to the track wanting to take. Remember the plan. Who knows you may steer them back on track too.
.
Finally, this is the hard one to swallow, self talk is empowering or disempowering.  I might have doomed myself from the beginning by looking towards the suck when I need to focus on the views, on the elation that comes from topping out on a hard climb, and the lessons of resource management in terms of water locations.  All of those I just threw into a lump of suck.
.
All who know me and know me in passing, hiking is a passion.  How many know that after 10 years of avidly pursuing, it's become a slight burden.  The views no longer carry the awe, or the effort, the rewards.  This is besides the point.  It's good for me to share the photos so that I can hear from fresh eyes what I see.  That helps recharge me.  It helps me recharge knowing some are asking for what hikes I recommend in my home area.
.
Hiking is also an allegory for life, work, etc.  If you reread the first 4 points one may see how my experience may tie into what is experienced by the reader.  One thing I love about adventure literature is the over coming of obstacles. One may not draw business connections between the early Antarctic or Mt Everest expeditions yet, can see that those who over come have a leader, even self-leadership, that focuses on a positive out come and will work within the limits of what they have to over come that which was not prepared for.
.
Did I fail in the thru-hike? No, because I plan on coming back to it.  I need an attitude adjustment.  Am I learning the on going lessons of life? Yeah.  They who stop learning are those that proceed to fail. I keep looking for that which I missed the first time around.
.
I hope this helps someone.
.
I continued to drive home without incident.  That is, until I hit Salt Lake.  Folks, please give each other room to stop!  I witnessed a 5 car pile up one lane over and 3 car lengths ahead of me. I had to go through the debre field.  Give space so that one distraction does not cause a cluster of other issues.
.
Well enough, at home, I'm cleaning, inspecting, and putting a way gear.  Yes, it takes time even to put 15 lbs of stuff a way.  This is the closing of my TRT journey, for now.  I'll let folks know when I head out again.  Thanks for the comments on social media and via this site.
.
Have a great holiday weekend and drive wisely.
.
Hike On!

No comments: