Sunday, June 05, 2016

Loop Time

A discussion with a work mate on Tuesday made me glad I hadn't gone to the Uinta's.  A quick look at the forecast and at the maps, I decided to head up to, rather down to Sheep Creek Road and do a 20 mile loop in preparation for my vacation.  It'll be good.

Since I went to a Singles BBQ, I hit the road and on to the southern end of Sheep Creek around 9 am, it's a little more than an hour away.  I parked at Second Water, hike down to Fifth Water Trailhead, up passed the hot springs (complete with dogs in the water) passed a few more water falls, and across Sheep Creek Road.  I stopped for lunch.  Looking at the map and the time, I decided to press on.

At the top of 5th Water, I turned south towards 2nd Water.  5th and 4th Water canyons had good spots to camp but I decided to see what it took to do a long day.  Along the south bound portion, I played leap frog with a family of Trail riders on motor cross bikes.  Eventually they passed me for good.

I took a break at all the creek crossings on this leg.  Made good time.  Ironically, I'm at the same site I was last weekend.  Tomorrow's a short day maybe 2 miles to the car.  By my estimate, 18 miles today.  I chose not to stop at the hot springs to soak, also bathing in sulfur infused water is not my thing. I like my miles.

My thoughts today are not on the chafing, side note don't use hand sanitizer to clean that stuff, nuff said.  I'm sure there is a warning about rubbing it over chapped skin somewhere .  Thoughts aren't on the vacation, which is rapidly approaching.  It's on something completely different.  A Christian Church from Kalispell MT wants to plant a church in SLC.  I am a Christian.  I served as a missionary, cooking for a particular sea going organization, for many years.  I asked on of the team members from MT, why SlC.  His response 'an area can never have to many churches'  I stayed for the rest of that interest meeting.  I've gone to a few more meetings.  Would my readers mind if I added more to my blog besides hiking and more hiking?

Sorry about not following through with the last entry of doing an out and back on the Great Western.

No comments: