Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Mr Big Paddles - aka Fred


Mr Big Paddles - aka Fred, originally uploaded by preyingjaws.

After days of studying for an exam for my next employer, I took a few hours of rest and relaxation.

Several of my photographer friends told me of a few moose up at Alta. I headed right there armed with my Nikon D 90 and 70-300mm lens. Within minutes of hitting the trail I saw this big fella lounging in the trees. About ready to move on I decided to relocate on the trail and wait out the bugs annoying me. A few minutes later he began to move. Soon enough a cow and two calves trotted by, another cow came into view, and a smaller bull also came along.

Talking with another hiker I found out the big bull moose of the area is known as Fred. A twin of several years ago, his brother Barney has since left the area.

I couldn't believe my luck. I did keep my distance from these big creatures. I love a long lens for that very reason, it gives me a safe reach.

While at Alta I headed up to Cecret Lake and enjoyed a share of wild flowers of the Albion Basin.

No comments: