Sunday, June 16, 2019

A quick overnighter, 2 weekends ago

I needed to get out.  I missed the opportunity of the 3 day weekend last week as I let the weather channel dictate the destination.  I could do that again.  I'm but mere days away from another adventure. 

I headed to The Great Wesrern Trail as it cuts along side Strawberry Ridge.  Rain hung in the air.  This isn't about miles this time.  It's about getting out.

I found a meadow area above Mud Spring.  Rain on the horizon.  I set camp then returned for water.

I heated a pot of water.  It got to a boil before the canister ran out. Ops, glad this is an overnighter.  Guess I'll have to make due with chug instead of coffee in the morning.

The rain swept through around 6 pm, clearing by 7.  One reason I'm out is to refamilarize myself with my gear and my new tent.  My trip this year will take me into dark sky territory.  I want to view the stars without being feasted upon by mosquitoes.  I got a Big Agnes 2 person.  It's just right for one person.

Time to read and relax.  I'd enjoy a cup of tea had I had fuel.

That was two weeks ago.  I was happy with how the tent held the rain at bay, annoyed with myself for grabbing an empty canister.  The hike in and out went without incident or mud splatter. 





No comments: