Sunday, May 20, 2018

Sunrise

Tossing and turning happens, with the anticipation of sunrise I make sure the last toss puts me inline for the sun peaking into the basin.  I saw the first pink of new day on Dromedary Peak.  I sat up.  Sitting in a quilt is much like that of a mummy bag except the back can get cold.  I snuck an arm into my puffy down jacket.  After a bit, I flashed to pack with the intention of having coffee and breakfast on the rocks.

The fellow who camped near by was surprised that I was packed so early.  A late night six pack of 20yr olds pitched a huge dome tent on the rocks and one had a 2 burner propane stove out cooking bacon.  Where was their mule?  No mule, they all took a chunk of group gear and time to get up here.  PS they got in just after dark.

I laid out my quilt and ground sheet to dry in a light breeze.  I struck the canister stove to boil water for an overnighter treat, mountain house sausage & eggs, followed by coffee.  Not like what the kids were enjoying but, a treat for me. They missed out on the coffee.

Light blasted the Sundial.  Day hikers made there way in.  The morning, clear, perfect for a hike there and for myself, down.

Before I split, I took a look for trash.  I found a cache of crushed beer cans, empty cigarette packs, and a bottle of ketchup.  I didn't have a very big trash bag with me.  I chose the near full bottle of ketchup since it's a food item and will attract rodents.  I also kicked a part an illegal firepit.  Why, oh why do people do this?  There are multiple signs saying Pack it in, Pack it out.  Also there is a permanent fire ban in this basin.  Hundreds will hike this trail.  Thousands will pass between Mrmorial Day and Labor Day.  We all need to do our part of keeping pristine, pristine.  End Rant.

I sit drinking more wake up juice in the afternoon, the gear is sorted and put away, clouds roll across the SL Valley.  Rain follows.

Call this a micro-adventure (less than 24 hours) or call it a mock-overnighter.  Call it a major event for some like the kids I met.  The important thing is to get out there, get comfortable with the gear.  Find an experienced friend, hook up with an outdoors group, or rent some stuff from an outfitter.  Quit dreaming, go.

Liz Thomas, an established long distance hiker,  writes an article on the how and why short adventures work... http://www.eathomas.com/2018/05/09/backpackingmockovernighter/ you'll need to copy and paste that line.

I also want to encourage all to be mindful of the trash (pick it up), respect others, and be wise with sharing online adventures.  I'll highlight that one another day.

No comments: