Sunday, June 04, 2017

I did it, White Pine pt 2

The nap wasn't so much as a snooze, rather a ponder of a safe way to reach the pass into the lake.  I was on the edge of a little ravine so I followed that up.  I looked for the least likely spots of slides and rollers.  I spotted someone else's track from the previous day cutting across the basin.  I headed that direction.  I cut a switchback or two of my own and joined the traverse to the pass.
.
Okay, this altitude got me huffing along with the slope.  I confirm, I am in shape.  The way down will be a combination of shuffle and butt slide.
.
I tracked through the pass.  Standing on 7 to 10 feet of snow.  Shuffled to a view of the lake, it's bathed in snow with splinter of turquoise at the edges.  The lake is covered with more snow then I've seen at this time years last. I explored up high not going to the lake always aware of my surroundings.  I was actually closer to the lake at my lunch spot.
.
Backcountry skiers this is the place for a while longer.  If you want to play, come. 
.
As I began to examine my route down, a gal was on my tracks as they joined the lower basin.  I head down, chatting it up for a bit with her.  With her and everyone I passed within reach of the lake, I let them know to keep an eye up hill and exercise caution when things begin to move.  It's not a mater of if, it's when.  As the sun warms the slopes the danger increases.  I doubt it's refreezing over night, now.  PS I was out of the danger zone by 1:15.
.
The first time here years ago, I had roller balls, yeah not fun and not a smart day.  Since then, I've made a point for this time of year to get up and down early from any snowy slope.
.
By the time I reached the trees, I passed 5 others.  By the time I got a mile beyond, another half dozen excluding a couple who turned back for the reflection off the sun began to become a bother.
.
The further down I went the less info I gave.  At the trail split for White and Red Pine, the day hikers and families gathered.  I spoke with one couple who turned back at the next trail split of Red Pine for the sloppiness of the snow.
.
My recommendation for the next two weeks; go early and turn back as the snow softens or choose a different trail set.  There are lots of snow free trails in the Wasatch.  Some trails are in the front country while others are at the lower elevations of the backcountry.
.
Never push one's safety.  If one becomes disabled, they put others in danger.  This is the thought that kept crossing my mind as I made my way across the snow fields.  I have no formal training.  I am an experienced hiker who chooses to err on safety than to push my limits.
.
I mentioned using my hand as a guage for angles, I may explore this in a different post.
.
Gangster on a mountain? Sure, ever have a sunburnt mouth?  Who makes sunscreen for the roof of the mouth?  Let me know in the comments.

No comments: