Monday, September 07, 2015

The Rest of the Over Nighter

After wandering down by the lake with my supper, I returned to set my bed for the evening.  The Gatewood Cape affords a tight 7x3 space.

I soon found out reading while sitting is highly inconvenient, so is laying down and reading.  Before I knew it, I dozed off with the book in hand.  I quickly put it away when I woke 20 odd minutes later. I reached around adjusting a few items and returned to sleep.

Waking up periodically while in the backcountry is no different than at home, except I got stars right above me through the trees.  One time, a flash of lighting woke me seconds before the rain came.  I undid the button holding back the door, zipped it, and waited to see how the cape would hold off the rain.  It did just fine, less two spots that I'll seem seal another day and the fact that SIL, silicon impregnated nylon, lets a little rain through in the form of mist.  I fell back asleep counting flashes and booms.  Only a few spooked me close but, no closer the other outings.

In the morning, the rain leaving satter about, my gear nice and dry inside less two drip spots, I gave a good shake to the door and buttoned it back.  I looked out a while admiring the small meadow a few yards out.

I stuffed most the gear while inside the little shelter before making coffee and oatmeal.  My older canister stove never lets me down. This time I chose it over the alcohol stoves just for hot coffee.

As with the night before, I headed to the lake.  The stillness and the reflection of the mountain I will not share.  The camera stayed in camp.

A quick tidy up and I hit the return trail.  At Island Lake I stopped to dry out the cape.  It took only a few minutes.

On my way down I picked up trail trash which included a nice Gerber knife, not trash but lost.  I am amazed at how many little wrappers get out of hand.

By noon I hit the parking lot for an uneventful drive back home.  A few minor adjustments I may make next time out may include substituting base layers for the sleeping bag liner, a small alcohol stove for the canister, and taking a smaller camera.

This was a quick get me out for the night.  I'm glad I went.

This is now three weeks ago.  How time flies when one forgets to post.

No comments: