- Slim was first on Aug 28 according to Appalachian Trials web page.
- Alison, sported a Super Girl costume was second on Sept 17, also seen on the same site.
- Jim & Roger on Sept 19. I met them at the Hunt trail head as I came into the area.
- I was next the following day on Sept 20
- Puzzle is the last of the group on Oct 1. He txt'd me from town later that day.
Friday, October 03, 2014
When I look back at the early days of my hike, this picture stands out as one on those that says, "The impossible can be reached." Walking around the table we see: Jim and his dad Roger - aka Biscuits and Off Meds; next is Alison's Mom and the restaurant owner; Alison - aka Homestretch; Chris - aka Puzzle; Me -Train; and Slim - I never learned Slim's real name. We were enjoying pizza in Franklin NC which is about 107 miles into our journey.
The Impossible: We All Summited Mount Katahdin within weeks of each other.
According to the Appalachian Conservatory's site 1 in 4 or less successfully complete the journey with in one calendar year of their start date. This year as reported and estimated 2500 left from Springer Mountain GA. I was 1044. My thru-hiker number in Baxter is 564.
I hiked with amazing people. I do check Trail Journals and Appalachian Trials sites to see who's made it. I ran into only a few people the day before I summited and on my summit day as I came back into the trail head area. Everyone has a back story. Everyone shared similar experiences in light of their back story. We all are shaped by the story of our trail experience.
Just a few links