Thursday, June 23, 2016

Day 1

Where do I begin besides leaving home before the traffic began to build for rush hour?
I got to Incline Village by 2pm so I hit the trail early.  This is good as the camp ground I wanted to stay at still isn't open.  I put an extra days rations I to my pack and left the car behind.
.
Some ladies coming down said they had to us GPS to find the trail in places.  I have a map & compass.

I pushed through Galena Falls.  And met my first trail junction.  I stopped.  Snow, not just a patch of snow but a trail full of it.  I did my best to look for the trail in between the snow patches.
.
I decided to call it a day with plenty of day light left.  I gathered some water for filtering.  I gathered sticks  for the Emberlit stove.  I set camp in a rocky, poor holding tent stakes soil.  I just found a few big rocks for the tent stakes.  Did I say it's windy where I'm at?  Yeah windy.  I hate wind.
.
I started a fire quickly, adding sticks until my pot of water came to a boil.  This took a long time.  Just as I was ready to use it.  I tipped it over... bawha!  I ate a big spoon of peanut butter and a couple of tortillas instead.
.
Looking at the trail from where I'm at.  Zoom in on the tracker and you may see a power line near by going to a communication tower.  Tomorrow Begins finding some trail of switch back nature under patchy snow.  Hence why I stopped here.
.
Maybe I should have stayed at the falls.  It wasn't windy there.
.
Hike on!

2 comments:

Chuck said...

Enjoy!!

Chuck said...

Enjoy!!