Saturday, June 25, 2016

Day 3

Day three is when the suck sets in.  Everything is sore from the soles of my feet to my attitude.  Granted at the first of the morning I was a mere 27 miles or so into it.
.
I came up to Watson Lake by 10:30.  I thought about calling it a nero.  After looking at the campsites, I chose not to and decided to head for a creek down a fire road near Painted Rock. That would give me, oh, 12 miles for the day.
.
Just south of the awesome view photo I posted on social media, I met some clockwise thru-hikers.  They gave me the data on the next two sections of trail.  Dicks Pass which is between Tahoe City and the PCT is impassable without microspikes.  I'll need to pick up that section.  At Painted Rock another set of clockwise thru-hikers said Freeland Pass was impassable.  These two had met some PCT class hikers, meaning they had hiked the PCT previously.  Okay, more detours to plan.
.
I did say Day 3 sucks.  Well to add to the trail conditions, I missed the road with the water.  I met 3 weekend hikers who said they'd just come up Twin Craigs.  So short on water I asked the next set if there was water ahead.  One described a spring next two two fire roads.  I thought surely the weekenders had misplaced themselves.
.
I took photos along the way, found the water, and looked at the map.  I'm a mere 1/2 mile from town.  The plan now is constantly evolving.  At first it was to head to Kingsbury Grade, pick up my Vox and hike North.  I still have two days of food in my pack.  I haven't eaten much in the last three days.  Literally, the bag I had at my desk on Wednesday and a couple of Mountain House dinners.
.
Now I sit to dine on a Mountain House breakfast and sip tea.
Later, I'll look at the days I plotted for KG to Mt Rose.  Can I SoBo on what I have or do I suppliment and return for my box before I leave.  I'll need to pick up the southern half at a later time.
.
Yeah Day three sucks but I'd rather have it suck than everything to be ideal.
.
Hike On!

No comments: