Sunday, June 26, 2016

Day 4, A New Adventure

I awoke to predawn colors of the Tahoe Basin.  City traffic reached my ears.  I got up, packed, and headed down in search of breakfast.  At the nearest grocery store I stopped to wash my face, grab a snack, and asked for the best breakfast joint.  I was pointed towards the center of town.  In retro spect I could have grabbed something there.
.
I found a coffee shop.  Asked the batista what's good for breakfast.  He gave a lame, 'I don't know' response. I got a big cup of drip and a breakfast burrito.   The burrito Filling and the coffee, meh.
.
I grabbed the next bus towards Incline Village only to chat with the driver I was going the wrong way.  He put me on a counter clockwise bus.  Next thing I knew I was waiting at the end of the line for an hour for the Trolley.  And connecting to another transit center to get up to Kingsbury where I plan to resume my journey.
.
This entry is choppy as I'm doing it in pieces.
.
After 4 buses, I got to sbury Grade and my resupply is not here.  Thank you US Post Office for saying 'y3s, it's delivered' and the fellas at the Market said, 'who?'
.
I grabbed a couple of tacos, local style, from the Smoke House.  Drop my belly off here.  If I was to stay, the brisket would be plated.
.
Time to hike again, 2:30...
.
I'm rounding out today's adventure dry camping on the north side of South Camp Peak.  Before I left one of the transit centers I topped off on water in a 1 liter gator aid bottle and the other two containers.  Essentially I've got 3 1/2 ltrs with me between Kingsbury Grade and Sponer Summit trailhead.
.
The spot I have, how can I brag?  I have a top floor hotel room with a billion dollar view.  How I'm posting vis email will not let me post photos.
.
On my way here, I met 2 folks of the AT class of 15.  And another couple.  Both separated by a few miles.  I relayed what I learned yesterday.  They shrugged it off.  From my view here, I can see Freeland Pass and it is anything but impassable without microspikes.
.
Even with this awesome view, I chose to eat a cliff bar and a single of spam.  I know, I should be an ace in the back country culinary arts by now.  I am enjoying a breeze which is Colin off the peppermint tea.  My tent is out of the wind zone tonight.
.
In the mornin' I am so looking forward to this sunrise but I'm facing the wrong way.  You put the heel of the shelter into the wind when possible. I've got a stunning still.
.
I'll head towards Merlette Lake 12 ish miles away and debate if I finish there or try to hike another 6 to get out of the State Park and camp.  This particular place makes one stay at designated camp grounds.
.
What a day.
.
Hike On!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

greetings Brian, i sure like to view some photos, and of course i am envious
ross