Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Day 5, I'm thirsty

I awoke to something crashing around.  I let it be for a while.  I finally gave in, looking outside I see a big ol buck between me and my food bag.  Since I was up I got up.
.
Packed some and the got out to the rocks for billion dollar sunrise.  Fire from the horizon lit my sky and climbed.
.
Knowing I had miles, I got on the way.  Down was nice.  At Spooner Summit I must have missed a water pump some where for down to the lake I went. Gross! I've seen some nasty water but this I'll leave it at this goose poop refill.  I spiked my water with AquaMira and got on the way.  I do use the original  Sawyer filter as my inline filtration.  Dip and go, filter with each sip.  Now, I want to add a carbon flavor filter, read on.
.
Tung sticking to my mouth dehydrated, I avoided drinking this water load I scooped.  Eventually, during on of my breaks I broke out the Gator aid power chews and chewed while sucking on the water.  At that same location is a patch of snow. I made snow angles and laid back til my back got numb.
.
I got on with it again.  More of the same but this time down hill for 4 miles.
.
Got to Merlette Campground.  Found a spot, and went looking for the pump.  It was hard to move.  I went looking for another water source.  By the time I returned a couple of ladies had used limp balm to grease it.  Water never tasted so good, cold, or refreshing. An official sign stated good to drink from the pump.
.
After they left, I cleaned up a little. And drank more.
.
I fired up the Emberlit stove for tea.  Feeding the fire takes too long to boil water.  If you want my honest opinion, message me.  What I see for my needs may not be your's.  If I express my opinion here it will not take into account of what your needs are.  Also if you get a Chinese knock off of the SnoPeak pocket rocket, get 3.  Try them and throw the 2 bad ones away.  Guess why I didn't do when I got mine?
.
So I've been sitting around kicking back for a time.  Chasing the sun with the solar panel and a jug of tea for tomorrow's hike out.  I'm still debating if I go all out or fall short a mile or two and finish.
.
Even though today I've been thirsty, I've also wrestled with chaffing.  Looking at the ridgelines around I can see my second day area is nearly clear and the same goes for the rest.  I am good on time however just cause I can see clearing ridgelines does not mean they are. Chaffing over clearing snow is more for the factor.  If you've never wrestled with this, you are lucky.
.
Looks like to night will be good around here.  A small family is on the far side, a brother and sister are out before he goes to am Africa with the Peace Corps, and the rodents want our food. Speaking of food Knorr Sides of Stoganoff is on the menu.
.
Hike On!

No comments: