Friday, June 17, 2016

Preppin


I'm checking maps, running web searches for Sierra snow level reports, playing with gear, etc about the only thing I haven't done is put myself on a strict diet and push myself into better physical condition.  Soon, all to soon, I'll be on the road to a trail for a few weeks.  Can you guess where?
Planning and more planning.  I've cyber-hiked this trail on Google Maps 3d.  Now I finalize with lookin at snow reports feeding into the water report (several sections are dry, on these sections I'll need to carry enough water to get to the next source)and these feed into elevation changes and pack weight to compute miles per day.  I want to say I've hit 'gram weanie' level with the gear.  I've trimmed the tooth brush, my dentist want me to do this a long time ago but, I've done it to fit I'm my pack.  I've measured out how many 3/4 litter pots of water I can boil in my canister stove. I gave in, I got an Emberlit wood camp stove for burning bio-mas (sticks).  I don't have to carry fuel, but I am.  I don't want to wait for coffee to boil in the mornings.  Why the concern for weight? Heavier equals slower.  On the day hike trails I'm quick.  On the overnight trails, I'm up to 15 miles per day over semi rugged terrain for a day with a 25lb pack.  I haven't done any multi-day hikes since the last long trail.  The lack of multi night outings I hope does not become my bane.

There are several things on getting ready for this trail that are an itch I'd like to resolve for others making plans for the hike around the blue jewel of the West.  First, plan an extra day to pick up the Desolation Wilderness Permit.  The Forest Service is serious about not issuing it before their two week window.  There is an office in Incline Village at the old library for those who choose to start a way from Tahoe City.  Second, don't shoot to hike this trail at the end of June on an average snow year.  I'm two parts confident I'll hit long stretches of snow.  I'm taking this earlier then recommended more for the ability to score the length of time off from work needed.  The water report needs to be taken into account around Tahoe City.  It's projected to be wet North Bound (NoBo) going into town and dry until Watson Lake and with a full 2 1/2 day resupply, okay that's 5lbs of food with 6 or more pounds of water.  FYI, on planning, I am starting at Tahoe Meadows in the North East corner.  Next, get the National Geo map of the area.  I do have Blackwoods Press TRT Pocket Atlas, it however is not printed on water proof paper.  These two map resources are the same ratio 1:63,360. Lastly,  get in trail shape with a few over nighters to be knowledgeable of what one can realistically do.  I'm coming off a desk and will be headed back to a desk.  I won't even get my trail stride before sitting back down. On the Appalachian Trail, I admired the section hikers, they were tough knowing that they were out for a sore time, year after year to finish the 2187 (odd) mile AT. This is an easy trail to plan for, go for it.  Dream Blue...

On my web searches the photos of this trail are stunning.  My north bound leg will share tread with the Pacific Crest Trail.  I've got several friends from the AT on the PCT.  I may not see them or if I do see a NoBo they may or may not know where my friends are.  I looked seriously at a counter clockwise (CCW) hike to put me South Bound on the PCT to increase my chance of crossing paths with NoBo's.  I want to find out more about their adventure beyond reading blogs and looking at Instagram photos.  As I'm writing this blog, I may head the other way around.  Out of Tahoe Meadows is MT Rose which I want to hit but not on my first day. I may take an extra day after completing the Rim.  The counter clockwise route puts Watson in the morning, a stealth site for camp outside of town, and a resupply of 3 1/2 days with good water out of Tahoe City.  Can anyone see my dilemma?  Okay, I've still got time to hash out version 8, 9, and 10 of this hike.  CCW would get me SoBo on the PCT and easier dry stretches with harder up hills. Umph!

I'm sure my immediate workmates are ready for me to be on the way or find another hobby.  The Boots McFarland comics are definitely a good rendition of my planning and execution of this adventure.  If you want to get notified of when I post, in the upper right corner of this page is a subscription link.  I haven't figure out how to link Instagram to feed into Blogger's format.  If you aren't on Instagram, no worries, it's another social media feed which resembled an older version  of Flickr.  I plan on writing every few days and for personal security post later.  My parents will know where I am at thanks to their little friend, SPOT, a satellite beacon I carry.

My pre-hike jitters are long gone.  I'll admit, I am already looking forward to the next long distance hike.  Things I am considering are other two to three week ventures, mainly late spring or early summer, resupply options.  I want to some how career track hiking along with work along with other things of life.

I recognize I mention other things in my last post.  There is a church out of Kalispell MT that wants to bring a campus to Utah, FreshLife.  There are also other solid Christian churches in Utah as well as other remote campuses.   If one church does not fit your style, look for another.  As I hike I realize my style of hiking is not for everyone.  I enjoy sharing by writing.  I did not get here by saying, I am a long distance, light weight hiker.  I got here first by being introduced to hiking by my Dad, Happy Father's Day.  Thanks for getting me out and about.  Then I was introduced to backpacking in Cub Scouts but, I really contribute it to a friend's Dad who took us to Grand Daddy Lake in the High Uinta's as Boy Scouts.  This hiking life is a progression.  Don't let anyone or anything hold you back from exploring the mountains, career, or faith.  The Trail will provide and when it doesn't one adapts, it's the same with life.
Hike On!

No comments: