Friday, August 23, 2019

The High Uinta's

One may have guessed I couldn't let my final vacation weekend go without some hiking, could they?  After reviewing my gear choices of the PCT I decided to go out with what I almost took.  The pack however is not the pack I was thinking off.  It is the size of pack I am considering for next year.

I swapped the tent for an 8x5 tarp and bug bivy.  The cook kit this weekend, an Esbit stove and a 450ml mug, windshield too. A windshield is a must as Esbit will not work other wise.  On my feet Merrel's Moab hiking shoe.  I left the camera at home.  All photos this weekend were via my phone.

I hit the Highline trail off the Mirror Lake Highway.   Headed to Four Lakes Basin.  Camped there.  In the late morning looped to Rainbow Lake, ate lunch at Governor Dern Lake, caught the Highline Trail West towards Packard Lake and camped at the Duchenes(sp) River Gorge over look.

While at Four Lakes is rained on me over night.  I had my tarp pitched like a one pole mid-tent.  I stayed dry. The wind wasn't there.  I scooted to me back edge my nose on the tarp and my toes touching the otherside.  Nothing of mine but the tarp was wet come morning.

Tonight, I pitched to the wind.  When I got here there was a stiff up the canyon breeze.  I off set the pole to give me more nose room.  This pitch does not protect as well but, is a bit more comfortable.   I can see why those who have gone the way of the tarp like it so much.  The downside is one needs to be careful with where and how they pitch.  Most modern tents have one way to set them up but, it could be placed in a less than desirable spot and give adequate protection.

Tomorrow I have a short exit, mostly mild up hill.  I'll get things set out for work.  The alarm will be to early, that's okay.  I do thank my employer for granting me so much time off this season so I could hike the longest of my planned PCT sections.

Hike wise.  Hike safe.

No comments: