Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Winding Down

As I dropped into the basin containing the Peter Grubb hut, I heard and saw I-80.  "Ah, expletive, the hike is almost over," I bemoaned.  For my body, this is good, my feet ache constantly.  I've done fewer and fewer miles when possible no longer pushing the 20/25's.  I've preferred 18 to 20's.  There are days when I do stretch 'em so as to time staying at places like the Peter Grubb. I actually stayed behind it.  I figured 3 more nights of stars weather permitting. 

Since the climb out of Sierra City, the terrain steadily got more vertical.  Either more shorter climbs/descents like a saw blade or longer inclines.

I hit I-80 around 8.  Took a long break on the Westbound side.  Another hiker was fixing her breakfast.   She too is on a section hike only she called it a MYTH, Multi Year Thru Hike.  I like it.  So this L*SH is part of my MYTH.

If you ever want to find out what the Donner Party faced hike the trail between I-80 and HWY 40.  Granted it's not everything but, it's rough territory.  Lots of boulders, semi-cliff faces, small lakes were a few of the obstacles beyond the climbs.

At HWY 40 I choose not to go to the Donner Ski Ranch Restaurant to get a free drink per Guthook's.  I chose instead to begin more climbing, over 1,500 ft.  This day had the potential to be brutal, instead a stiff breeze and cloud cover. Hum, do I put on the rain fly? I did and it was a mistake, the sky cleared up.

As I topped over Tinker Knob I looked back to see Sierra Buttes one last time to the north, to the south I saw Twin Peaks, 75 odd miles of trail within that 180 view. I began my final descent for the day 800 odd vert drop over 2 miles, a knee killer.

I'm in a wooded section to night.  Tomorrow I'll climb up to the ridge and drop off of Twin Peaks junction of the PCT and TRT.  I'll camp at a place I know just outside of Tahoe City.

Thought, feelings, mindset stuff?  Definitely need better shoes with rock plates in them.  A lighter gear set up, too.  Less food, gesh, my food bag weights almost 1/3 my gear weight if not more.  Goal setting: be willing to slow down when ya hurt and go for it when ya don't.   Talk to others going the other way about awesome places near and far.  Since my first evening in Africa I've had to wash my feet every evening, this journey I've come to realize I don't always need clean feet to sleep well, I just need a decent place to lay my head.

I stepped around to some near by rocks.  The place I untend to camp my final night has sunrise views not sunset views.  This is my final set on the PCT, for now...

No comments: