Friday, August 02, 2019

Be informed

I thought fires were my pet peeve on the PCT. As I crossed a mixed use area I realized PCT also mean Perfect Cycling Trail.  I crossed paths with several mountain bikers, Aug 1, who "did not know" the trail they were on did not allow for bicycles or any other mechanical devices.   The PCT crosses several Off Highway Vehicle trails, each well marked No Bikes.  The PCT was designed as a stock animal and hiking trail.  It's against federal law to travel by any other mode on the PCT, Pacific Crest Trail, unless of course the PCT is connecting via roadways.

The ridgelines I crossed today took me high above many wonderful lakes. This area is worth coming back to.

Yesterday,  I heard rumors of a fire on the trail, contained and out.  Around 3:30 ish I came up to it.  Near West Nelson Creek, a small but, potentially dangerous fire broke out.  A PCT hiker called it in with their two way satellite device.  The local lookout could not see it so they sent a crew.  This fire is about 1 mile from a dirt road.  I spoke with one of the hotshot crew.  He said it was out the day before but, due to the nearness of the PCT they chose to do additional mop up work.   There was no further danger to the hikers.  This fire will be investigated.

I camped 2 miles farther on past thefire.  After dark I had a mule deer spike enter camp and munch around.  At one time he was 2 feet from my tent, another time he bedded down less than 5 feet from my tent door.  Oh, I spooked him when I got out for a moment. 

There are other exciting things going on. I am taking my time since I've crossed the 500 mile mark on this trip on July 31.

Please be informed on where you plan to go.  I spend hours pouring over materials before I head out as to be aware of any sort of restrictions from land usage to the kinds of camp stove I can take.  I also look at weather patterns and water resources.  Even on a quick weekend trip, I try to be as informed as possible.   Please do the same.

No comments: