Sunday, August 04, 2019

Sierra City

From the top of Sierra Butte I could see the almost whole world, except I did not climb the stairs to the fire tower.

On my zero, as I waited for my sandwich at the Sierra Country Store I caught a news clip, rampage.  In town was a mountain bike race up to the old PCT and down into Downevile other wise except for a few hikers this is a quiet town.  Windows and doors are often unlocked here.

Sometime during the day the volunteer fire department's siren rang out.  It's a simple call to a few locals, check your radios.  I didn't hear any other sirens.

I cycled through my chores.  No laundry available but, someone did set out a couple of buckets for hikers in a near by vacant lot the town does let hikers stay in .  Must admire those who do their wash without a machine. Note to self carry a line on the next hike, hanging clotheson a fence wasn't what I planned to do.  I also sorted resupply and took some of what I chose not to eat down to the hiker box next to the store.

A new group of Nobo's cycling through on a Saturday.  A tall gal from the Czech Republic had figured out 25 miles per day to finish, need a bit more food, she tore though what I brought down.  Another hiker wanted a beer but, not a 40oz so he set down a six pack of 805 larger.  It didn't last long.  Around 6 this group got a ride back to the trail with the store's cook.

Around the same time new hikers came in, many speaking French.  I think the French out number the Germans this year.  They set up camp next to me.

I'm an early riser.  I tried not to wake anyone.  I thought the Red Moose restaurant opened at 7am, nope 8.  I sit at the store watching a few cars roll by.  I know I am a head of schedule.  I've also looked at the terrain profile south of I-80, yeah big climbs and a few cold nights expected. I think I'll make small days, up to 6 for 75 miles.  The store's out of canister fuel so here's to cold soaked dinners, yum.

So in the news why can't cities be like small towns where the air is clean, the people are welcoming, and trouble is not present?

No comments: