Sunday, July 07, 2019

Rest Days

Etna CA, small town USA, is far enough off the highway it doesn't get a stoplight.  The highway does skirt to the south.  Main St doesn't even have a painted strip down the middle but, does have two breweries, a broke down mechanic shop, and a grocery just off to the side that packs a lot in for such a small space.

I've taken two days off here, relaxing.  I'm trying not to over eat.  Last year's section hike resulted in weight gain not loss with all the time I was off trail.  Since I am ahead of schedule I've tried to eat down what I carried into town.  As I worked on my resupply I noticed what I put into the hiker box was miscellaneous items like extra instant coffee packs, tuna (which is heavy), and unconsequential items that do not contribute to the success of the hike.

My next leg is scheduled to take 5 days at 20 miles a day.  I'm hoing to snatch up a few 25's.  What makes the difference berween a 20 and 25 comes down to easy of treadway and water availability.  Forest is the easiest to walk through, rocks the hardest.  Up hill and down direction makes little difference unless the grade gets extreme.  The more extreme the slower I go.  I'll call it a day if water is more than 5 miles away from the last, as I prefer 1 liters for dinner/breakfast and 1 liters to hike 5 miles.

Since this is titled 'Rest Days,' what does that exactly mean.  As any physical trainer will tell you, one needs recovery days for the muscles.  That's one reason.

Another reason is to take care of getting cleaned up and resupplied.  With a small town like Etna, this all takes place within a few blocks.  You don't want to smell a hiker, we aren't the cleanest creatures. Dirt impacted body salted, ah a smell I only enjoy around day 2, any thing beyond day 5 and I stink myself out of my tent.  Bathing in the backcountry isn't always possible when the water source may be a trickle of a mountain spring.  Even if water is good flowing, one should take some in a bag and go a way so as not to pollute the source.

Resupplying this trek is all about the boxes I sent ahead.  I put a few meals in each, a lot of energy bars, and regularly used items in each.  These boxes are sent to communities and laybys on my route.  Etna is the only off trail spot I stop.  The PCT is 10 odd miles away.  After looking into the boxes, I'll drop by local venues of gastronomic delights to pack a meal in me.

I also take the time to read a little, look ahead on the maps to see here I want or think I can get to, and find out about the conditions of the trail from others.  Granted the conditions will change, the snow they traversed may be gone as I arrive.  the downs I describe may be cleared  if the trail crews can get to them.

One thing we do rely on is the availability of water.  Nor Cal is a dry area.  Being without water for more than a few miles can be a problem so exchanging info on water sources can be a difference from carrying 1 litter or 2.  Most hikers are 1 litter to 10 miles.  For myself I am 1 to 5 at this point.

I recognize I've rambled a bit.  I'll be off line for a while.

Hike on.  Hike wise.

No comments: