Saturday, July 06, 2019

Day 4 to 6

Gritting my teeth for a 6 mile road walk, I grabbed a Gingerale and a Snickers as I walked out of Seiad. 2 miles on a highway, 2 on paved neighborhood,  and 2 dirt road to a Forest Service campground that all but looked abandoned except for maintained privies.  When I arrived at Girder Creek CG, I found a tent city building with NoBo's.  I threw in with a group just a ways from the bridge.  I figured father away from water, less condensation.

The next morning I got underway for a 10 mile obstacle course, as many described it.  First came the dance with poison oak, not all that bad and easy to avoid.  Next the physical stuff, downs hopping.  The pathways around the downs where already established all I had to do was keep walking.  I only took my pack off once to go under one fallen tree.  Finally near the top, bush wacking.  No poison oak to contend with but, berry bushes and other over growth.  I got my arms snagged once or twice.  I didn't notice until I saw dried blood on my forearms later.

Once clear on the top, I took a long lunch and decided to push for the Marble Mountain Ranger Station, 15 miles beyond.  I faced more up and some downs.  I arrived near 7:30 pm.  11 hour day and 25 odd miles.  This is my biggest day yet.  The Ranger Station had weekenders in the established  camp pads.  Thru-hikers had to find other spots.  I did just off the trail.  I pitched without the rainfly.  Made myself a bit clean in the stream and fixed dinner of Mountain House spaghetti.  Bed time came before the sunset, the stars came out a while later.  When I rolled over I'd look at the stars for a moment or two before falling back to sleep.

I set my eyes on getting to Sawyer's Bar Road to Etna the following day.  Little did I realize the PO is closed on Saturdays in this small town.

Marble Mountain Wilderness is a beautiful, rugged section of Nor Cal.  It's also a burn area.   When I wasn't climbing or descending, I hiked traverses through exposed, recovering forests.   Hot and dry,  by noon thirty, nap time.  My body demanded me to stop so I drew upon a huge cutoff stup, not quite perfect without a pillow. 1/2 hour later I gathered up again.  I got to the last water source on the trail going into Etna.  I carried 2 litters thinking if I couldn't get a ride into town I could camp at the trailhead.  I set mini goals to make those 12 miles of seemingly up and traversing barren burn scape pass.  Around 6:30 pm I made the final descent. 

I dropped into Sawyer's Bar Road right into a conversation where the spouse of the driver asked if I needed a ride into town among other questions.  The gathered party were wrapping up wedding rehearsal.  Oh what if I came in 24 hours later? Heads would have turned off the bride towards the stench.  Naw, the father of the bride said he'd welcome hikers to the party.  Within a few minutes I was at the Etna City Park hiker campground.

It was a rough day pushing another 25 miles on top of the previous 25 miles.  I think what made it harder was the rocks followed by the heat of the day in the burnt forest.

There were a few hikers at the city park already.  One tod me to head to Ray's grocery store for shower tokens, 10 minutes for $5.00.  I found out on my walk there the PO is closed Saturdays, bawha.  I returned to camp with the tokens, a bag of salad, and donuts.  The shower, amazing.  The salad hitting the spot for nutrition.

I've made the most of the day by doing a hot coffee with donuts this morning, a walk about town in the mid-day, and some planning.  My schedule does allow for a few extra days.  Per my 9 hour a day hike plan, I'm due here Monday, leaving Wednesday.  Instead I'll hangout until Monday morning pick up my waiting package and push for 15 miles in the afternoon.  For Sunday, I'll head to the Hiker Hut where for a few more dollars I get laundry done and my actual resupply package.  Some of which I'm sure will end up in the hiker box as I'm crushing miles and am carrying way to much at this point.

The package at the PO is a couple of items I needed sent.  Without cell service I had to do everything via email with the folks.

The city has set up a good resource for hikers and other passerby groups.  A shower, a recharging station with close able cabinet, and plenty of flat areas for tents off to one side while the other side has picnic tables.

Ah, water, privy, charging station, what more could a hiker ask forin a town of this size?

Hike on.  Hike wise.

No comments: