Tuesday, July 02, 2019

Day 3 1/2

Ah the small town of Seiad Valley in the state of Jefferson.  A quaint roadside bump in the map.

I pushed hard down the mountain to get lunch.  I should have stopped once or twice more.  The views in were great but, the photos wouldn't do justice.

I am taking a nero tomorrow.  I'll hike to Girder Creek campground.  Then make the assault up that side.  One thing I'm learning is to listen to a story and ask a few who are you questions.  Find out the story of the person telling the story.  A couple of Oregonian 20 odd year olds told me how horrible the snow patches I crossed a few days ago were.  I laughed at those same snow patches.

I ponder if the bush wacking people talk of is because the trail is over grown or because one needs to get off trail in older to go around objects.  Thankfully, I met the local trail maintainer, around 11 am, who said it's not that the downed trees are in brushy areas.  The trail is over grown in areas and one needs to push through.  Sounds like Washington's ferns again.  A NoBo Dutch couple told me my hands will be black as the downs are fire damaged.  Yeah for handi-wipes if I can't wash up.

I've got a flat of grass at the RV park.  Unlike last year this is a welcoming stay.  I got greeted by some locals as welcome to the valley.  An abandoned push blade on the edge of town says Welcome to the State of Jefferson.  Just beyond is the Wildwood Tavern with tasty food and some PCT services. I'm not sure who has the better burger Seiad Cafe, which I mistakenly called the Seiad Grill earlier, or the Wildwood.  It's a close call.  The owners, new, are working hard to get this place up and running. 

The horse trailer rolled past, 7:40, the trail maintainers just finished up for the day.  They've been on the mountain about 9 hours.

Time to shuffle back to my camp 1/2 mile down the road to call the day done.

Hike on.  Hike wise.


No comments: