Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Day 9

Dragging tail this morning I didn't leave until 7.  The others also were a bit late.  For me this is day 3 when the inventory of aches and pain sound off.  My right knee bemoams a bit but everything else is clear.

Before I stopped for water and whike chug (instant coffee in cold water) was half finished, I heard a sound accompanied by a moose brown butt.  The butt stopped but 25 yards from me.  I stared eye to eye with a down hilling black bear.  He was putting some distance between us.  I snaped a photo but like anyother creature spooked in the woods, usesless image.

Tom Petty's song Let's roll another joint us my brain worm again and I don't even know the whole song.  My words Let's roll another join [ankle], hike another mile, swat a thousand mosquitoes, and enjoy another view...

Let's hike, 16 miles more today.  PS had a doe in camp again this morning too.

Cathedral Rock Pass,  just after 1pm, most of the morning's been hiking towards this stone monolith.  An easy hike up from Deep Lake.  I've met twice the number of Sobo's today than all of yesterday.  I must be in between town bubbles.  I take quick breaks often and seek shade for my sit downs.  Here's my view now.

Either 8 or 12 more miles today.  I hear both of my choices are a buzz.
..

Rounding out Cathedral Rock I heard a crashing stream.  After a bit I found my way into ice cold mountain refreshment.

I've named my pack 'the food bag' as 50% of my weight is food.  I'm not eating planned.  I planned 2lbs per day and eating less than half.  When I get to Stevens Pass I'll drop 3 days or more of my leftovers.  Sad to be but, I'm tired of carrying this weight.

Well my feet were dry until Cascading Stream. I leave that there except for it was very rush-freshing.  Walked until my next camp with wet shoes.  If I get a chance to grab some Uglies (Crocks) I am.  Stream crossings I hadn't planned on.

A couple mile later I called out my mantra to remind myself who I am.  A new brain worm entered, I don't know who sings "tell me once again who I am to you" that kicked in.  If ever there is a reason to memorize whole songs, brain worms are excellent reasond.  Besides Paul tells one of the churches to sing psalms and holy hymns to one another.

I began to run into Sobo's shortly after that crossing.  One called Snow Master mentioned she put on flip flops for another crossing.  I found a solo teva.  Rushed and hollered back to her, it's not her's.  So out it's coming with me.

Around Deception creek met a Londoner.  Sat and chatted a bit.  Funny, he wore full sleves told me his name but promptly forgot it.  He said he's always cold.

Met a few others who were doing 20 plus out of Steven's.  I made Deception Lake before 7.  Feeling good but, with wet feet I called it a day to clean up.  Everyone talks of this place being riddled with hellish mosquitoes, I find the tolerable.  Got the head net and sleves but not a worry.  Four weeke ders are near by.  Still early at 7:45 for Sobo's to drop in.

Dinner is ready, time to do the Uinta pace while I eat.

PS aches and pain inventory, minor.   A few small blisters on the feet because of wet shoes and the pack sliding off me bellie, no others...

Hike on.  Hike wise

No comments: