Monday, August 22, 2016

Vacation Hike, Red Castle

Sitting on the wooden bridge over Smith Creek, I looked to the butte in front of me.  Nearly 7 years ago I sat here.  I worked for a different company and consecutively had 3 days off there.  Today, I'm on vacation having taken one week to complete a thru-hike of the Tahoe Rim Trail I decided a low elevation gain, multi day hike would be nice.
.
Every basin in the Uinta's are unique and many also share similar features.  One common feature is the long hike in around meadows up a stream.  The horse manure isn't a feature but is present along with flies and mosquitoes. I'm very fortunate to have only one Uinta's hike with the mosquitoes this summer.  Another feature these hikes share is a large upper basin with a series of small lakes.
.
What sets this hike apart from the rest is the dominant feature is a 12,000ft tall mountain of red and green cliffs that looks like an imposing fortress.  Another feature is the elevation gain is gradual except for one spot when one actually turns towards the moutain and goes up a short series of switchbacks before resuming a follow the meadow course.
.
I got up from my own bed this morning at my usual work time and was on the road by my usual work time.  All of this is an hour later than if I were getting up to ruck the Uinta's on a normal weekend. A weekend ruck is worth loosing sleep over.
.
The trailhead was packed.  The trail was busy with folks headed out. There's a few campers up here.  The archery season just began and a few elk hunters are making camp for their season.  Fishing is a big deal up here and as I type, the fish are jumping.  A good chill is in the air.  Who knew late August is fall in the mountains while the city is still suffering from summer's heat?
.
This method of blog delivery does not allow me to post images.  If I did you'd me making plans to get here before it gets too cold.  Hopefully I won't be too cold tonight.  I did a quick gear swap after I got home.  I'm using the Gossamer Gear Mariposa pack. With this pack the frame sheet is a sit pad or in my case a 3/4 Lenght Z-rest sleeping pad.  I also ditched the bag liner, more for convenience than anything.  I didn't check my lighter, that just died.  I tossed the matches but made sure I had a striker and fiero rod.  I did grab the Fireant stove and a few cotton balls.  I think I'm set but 11,000 feet is different than last week's 9,000. Even if I get chilled I can always use my rain gear as an extra layer.
.
Hike on.
.
PS the sky is amazingly clear.  I wanted to cowboy camp under the stars.  I'll be in my tent instead.

No comments: