Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Day 4, to Showers Lake

The stars at Aloha Lake burst beyond the heavens once the moon set.  I slept half in, half out after that. Orion, the constellation rose in the east.
.
I got going early and loved seeing new light dance across this big lake.  Once I cleared the lower section it was moving time however my right shoe dig into my tendon making going slow.
.
At Echo Chalet I got a Mountain Topper panni sanwhich, essentially a ruben.  Downed two gatoraids, and an ice cream.
.
Water was a concern as the section from Echo to Showers Lake is said to be dry.  I filled up at the bottom of some meadows and kept crossing trivial streams from then on severe mile or so.  Ha, I carried up to 2 litters the entire way.  No worry, I'd rather have more water than not
.
The basin before Shower, is the Horse Shoe.  This is across between Utah's Albion Basin and Day's Fork with a ruggedness I've not seen before towards the bottom.  Absolutely breath taking in kind.
.
I arrived at Showers with about 1 1/2 hours of day light left and set about camp.  I haven't seen to many PCT'rs  today.  I did see more than enough  weekenders heading up towards Desolation.
.
Another great day of hiking.
PS I grabbed some cardboard at Echo and that did what I needed to but I forgot to take a known hot spot so now another limp maker.  I'll have  a roll of tape on my right foot by the time this is over.
.
Over, if I can I hear Star Lake is amazing.  I may take a low mile day and enjoy the scenery.  Rain is forecasted on Saturday and I have more than ample food for the extra day.
.
Hike On!
How's that for a Monday?  Oh yeah, it was a 12 hour day from start to finish.

No comments: