Monday, August 15, 2016

Day 2, Wild Flowers

I made my way up to Twin Peaks Pass.  I started up to the summit however turned back just shy of the peak as the quality of the rock didn't excite me.  The faint trail also ran dangerously close for my comfort so I stayed farther a way from it.
.
I encountered the PCT treat way for the first time shortly after I got back to my pack.  My heart raced as I thought of future plans.  I'm not planning this section for 3 or 4 years , but to be on the actual PCT.  It wasn't anything different from what I've seen in this region so far.
.
A mile later I saw two 20 somethings looking at the map wide open.  They weren't lost rather not hikers with rather large packs and an unconventional piece of equipment,  he had a samurai sword.  I've seen some darnist things but this?  I moved on.
.
I met a PCT section hiker who's doing chunks at a time.  She gave me some info on the water beyond Richardson Lake.  Dry for 12 miles unless you like mud puddles.
.
I ate luch at Barker Pass Trailhead with 2 foreigners hiking the PCT.  They won't finish with the time left.  No mater it's the adventure.  Just as they left, some Jeep guys pulled up.  I decided to stay a few more minutes.  One of the fellas went back and got a bag of spicy jerky for me.  Guess what I added to dinner?  They were up for some good country road four wheeling.
.
I busted out some miles filling my water at a good flowing stream.  I pushed th 6 miles to Richardson thinking I had a set od switchbacks.  Like my AT style I stopped for a break within half a mile of the lake and there were no switchbacks.
.
I immediately, at Richardson Lake, walked in to a Scout troop up for a 50 mile section of the TRT headed my way.  Also another later starter.  I found a quiet alcove between two big stumps, like 20 foot tall and 3 plus foot diameter big.  The ground looks soft and again, I've rocked my tent down.
.
I set about my camp chores. Ate dinner cold with a small handful of shredded jerry which added a nice kick.  Washed myself and my rinsed my socks.  Since my socks a little most at this time, I've got them on my shoulders for a little body heat drying, chilly but comfortable just after sunset.  A clear sky will give me a little star view.  Oh yeah, I saw two clear meteors last might and some that may have been.
.
Every field I went through, every once there was water in the area had wild flowers.  Pink, purple, yellow the areas I walked danced with them.
.
For as many people are here it's quiet.  I'll sleep really good and will pass the Scouts sometime tomorrow.  One of their leaders said they'd be gone by 7.  Will it happen?  I'll be having my coffee then.
.
Hike On!

No comments: