Saturday, August 19, 2017

Day 23, Cascade Locks

Woken by the sound of rustling gear at 5 am, I tossed.  At 6 am gear still rustling, I let air out of my pad quietly by holding my finger over the valve.  I bet myself I could get out of camp before they did.  I made my bursts of noise quickly and spaciously.  They were gone before I however, I was gone within 10 minutes.  Poor Noodle, she's the last to wake in camp.  The noise she's putting up with this mornong.

I sit but 100 yards from.where I turned around last night.  The sun a near nuckle and a half above the local horizon.  Below is the perfect sunrise campsite for 1 maybe 2 tents.  I am glad I chose the other site for the company kept last night though quiet in the evening and slightly irritating this morning.

I sip a little chug and munch on a poptart. Sun in my face, I brave a look to the horizon to see some clouds pushing over distant ridgelines.  Traffic below and bug sounds near by.  What a combo. 7 1/2 miles to go, I empty my thoughts into prayers for the friends I've met in this segment and turn to the return into the every day non-trail life.

Narrow the path is down the wegitation coated cliff side.  Cliffside is what I can think of as to who steep.this drop is with several switchbacks.  Near the bottom a stream originating far above cuts the actual cliffs I skirt.  Small and large drops, each a sound to itself, hiding a train horn in the encroaching distance.  Only a few more miles.

The trail weaves in and out farther away from the steepness through low-lying under brush that vies for light breaking through the forest canopy 10 yards above.  Traffic murmurs grows into individual vehicle sounds.  The trail fades from lush to foot hill and pops out on an unassuming small town street.  I follow towards Bridge of the God's, pause and chose instead to route to the park for PCT Days.

 I see Rubber Ball and his Posey.  I go one to check in and come back the local diner.  At the park I find a spot amongst the few already set up.  People I don't know.  I'm two or three hours ahead of Noodle and the guys she travels with.  I should have just dropped my pack and waited but breakfast sounded better than waiting.  I set up and get back to the diner.

 I chill as I head over to hiker camp at the Island.  Very few hikers are ther early.  I find someone to set up near out of the wind.  I head to the Diner for breakfast.

I see Noodle and Pit Stop later walking in.  I join them to hiker camp to pitch so that I'm near people I know.

Some where I  the next hour I loose my glasses, Suck!  I walked town twice looking for them including walking through the vendor area.

Ah, vendors, vendors who want to offer gear for cheap.  I need to let Altra know of my pronation issue.  My right shoe is definitely healed out.  Mind you I grind my heals.  Got a deal on 

Honestly, I feel a little out of place here at PCT Days as the thru-hikers are only 3/4 done and I've just done 400 odd with the detour I am required to do.  These guys and gals have seen things other day hikers will never see, nor weekenders.  Serras with snow melt looking like highways Monday morning except of torrential waters.  The saddest part is a few who were to be here never will. Five died trying to make it through unknown waters of high mountains.  They have stories others want to ell that may never be told but in journals or sligh conversations.

I mention this to a PCT Association volunteer.  He says something to the effect that it's hard to nail down who is a thru-hiker.  Then he goes on to say that the section hikers tend to have have a more intimate relationship with the trail as they come back year after year to hike more in different seasons, conditions, they see the changes over time.  I must a agree with what he says as the hikers I admired most on the AT were the section hikers as they'd just get their trail legs and may be their stride before they are back in the office.  I feel as if I just got my stride this week and now I'm off [the trail].

I'm here kicking it.  PS I checked in with one of the info boths, someone turned in my glasses.  Definitely makes me appreciate full range of sight now.  I bought a pair of dime store readers just incase which only meet half my reading need.

Hike on.  Hike Wise.

No comments: