Sunday, June 17, 2018

Grandaddy Basin

Scratching my head while sitting at Pinto Lake in the High Unita's I tried to remember if this was one of the places my Scout Troop had camped.  I've been here plenty as a mid point on a hike but, remembering back 30 plus years is a stretch.  l camped along the end this weekend.

I got off early Friday. Drove longer than expected towards Hanna to get to the Grandview Trailhead.  As a side note, don't do the final 6 miles in a 2 wheel drive car.  It's step as, never mind, and has drop offs, yeah may be no.  I made good time to Pinto Lake where I called it a day.

Saturday, I made slow miles and visited another point I haven't been in a while, Rocky Sea Pass.  10 years ago I spent my first night alone in the Uinta's here.  The other side is, um, not pass able for me.  I sat a while staring into the next basin full of lakes.

From here I returned and dropped into 4 Lakes Basin for a bit and then on to Grandaddy Lake.  For a while I thought about going by way of Rock Creek and up.  After setting camp, I wandered a bit.  I went down the trail I would have come up.  It was abandoned or did I take a wrong trail.

The mosquitos are out at this spot, arugh.  I donded the bug net to keep my sanity until one decided to have my tea after supper.  Needles to say, I didn't finish that mug. One does not know the trouble of sleep until they've shared a tent with a few pesky mosquitos.

Sunday will be a hot coffee before heading over the pass to the car.  Hopefully an uneventful drive to the main road and home.

I typically like doing day by day on the hikes however I am using a broken device now in an Otterbox case which I'm not a fan of.  However had I had the device contained last week it wouldn't be broken.
Ah making of memories.

Hum, I hear rain.

PS
Going down the road to Grandview is a lot easier.  I may drive up there again.
Rain, light and sparse, just enough to wet the tent.  Since I get up and go this means drying out later in the day.

No comments: