Wednesday, August 01, 2018

missed day 11

I planned to stay at the Dinsmore's Hiker Haven in Baring.  Andrea passed away earlier this year after being diagnosed with an agressive cancer at the end of last year's NoBo season.  Jerry enjoys the hiker stories and putting up hikers in his huge yard.

Some of us headed to Cascadia Inn for a late breakfast which meant we needed to fend for ourselves first breakfast.  Note to self, send percolator coffee pot, a boil on hot plate kind.  It took a bit of ingenuity to make coffee with a broken coffee pot.

Days off are needed to rest the sore muscles encountered during the first long week of miles.  I hit 14, 20, 21.5, and 17.5 to clear the section between Snoqualmie and Steven's Pass.  Had some huge ups and downs.  This is the most hiked section by locals in Washington.  The locals take the detours and do low miles.  I'd say to the youth, make the thru-hike, note which side trails catch interest, and come back later.

My attitude did recover from the prevous frustrations.  Still, I should have... that phrase is a killer for the attitude all around.  I need to remember to embrace the lessons of the trail daily with gratitude and thanksgiving even during these weird times.

Looking a head, this next section has more ups and downs but not as rugged.  The Sobo's say the trail however is more over grown.  Temps are climbing back into the low 90's.  This is one hot year.

I head out after a good day off in the morning.

This afternoon after sorting my food a second time, I tuned a guitar and played a bit in the cool of the shade.

Around 6 new hikers, the fast Nobo's showed up.  More stories of going around.  Someone took pizza orders, surprisingly for a small town it's good.

More conversation rolls.  I need to put a final charge on my phone before bed.

Hike On.  Hike Wise.


No comments: