Sunday, May 20, 2018

First Ruck

Micro adventures abound near SLC.  I debated abound hiking up last night but, I held off, more on that later.  Today, I debated when to go. I decided to skip Capital Church's afternoon and evening services.  I stashed the pack from the bin, drove to the over flowing trailhead of Mill B or D.  I'm forever getting these two mixed up.

I huffed and puffed a while, yes, I'm in shape but not the best of shape yet.  I passed many a group going up and coming down on their day hike.

The Sun Dial came to view, dozens lounged on the rocks over looking the lake.  I split to a camping area just out of sight.  Lots of wet but, I did find a spot that is dry.  I threaded my tent stakes into the ground with a given view of the peak.

As I set up another fellow asked where he could set up.   My question of him is do you have a free standing tent.  He does and he's in view of the masses and thankfully his tent is of muted colors.  I hate the sight of bright tents up here,  they make the place look crowded when it may only be one or two people.

I wandered a bit thinking of where I'll make my morning brew.  Last night I found my way into the most expensive cup of coffes I'll ever enjoy, all of the cost for a conversation.  I headed to one of my reading spots, finishing up, I took someone else's pate to the counter, struck up a conversation with another regular and the staff.  He offered me a mug of private brew.  The staff brewed it for him.  This stuff is mellow, smooth, and nutty.  A light roast with a unique processing, the coffee berries are fed to a particular kind of cat, then gathered, cleaned, and then roasted.  Yeah, now when somome says coffee tastes like **** I'll respond if you have that kind of processed coffee I'd like a cup.

I'm set upon a rock watching light escape this basin, chilled, and enjoying sounds of waterfalls, birds, and the occasional passing plane. Snow covers most the high basin, Lake Blache's ice is spotty, doubtful it'd hold a fox any more.  I ponder will I see moose in the morning?

Time to bounce to camp, grab the jacket.  Time for a hot tea.

Hike On, Hoke Wise.

No comments: