Sunday, July 10, 2016

Ryder Lake in Mosquitovile

Watching the weather all week for the weekend made me long for the mountains.  Last weekend I did the Brighton-Alta loop adding a few of my favorite detours.  This time I wanted more.  A random note, in a random note book, caught my attention, Ryder Lake.  I grabbed my Hiking the High Uinta's book.  I'd hiked Christmas Meadows before, noting not to do all three basins at one shot on a 3 day weekend.  Ok, easy, I won't.  I'll do all three as an overnighter.  Na, I wont.  The last basin takes a bit more time.  I also recall, the pack I had then, it tips the scale at 45lbs.  Good memories, I recorded I the trail guide.  It was 9:30 before I finalised my plan and emailed the folks.
.
This morning the alarm clock sounded before my weekday time.  Made a coffee and was shortly on the road.  I couldn't remember how to tie the Mirror Lake Highway I to Evanston WY so I went up and over via Mirror Lake.  I want to say uneventful but, a mountain goat and a few deer added to the sightseeing.
.
I made it to the trailhead by 7:30 and got underway by 7:45.  I encountered my share number of Boy Scouts.  Multiple groups and different packing styles.  A troop that's got it together with few things hanging off the pack has a leader who is experienced.  The poor kids the look more like the Beverly Hillbillies truck, I feels sorry for as I wonder how many times they've stopped to retie gear back on.  If you're a Scout leader in the greater Salt Lake region and want someone to come do a shake down for your group message me.  I'd like to come help make the young men's (and ladies') over nighters a bit more enjoyable.
.
I did a few gear swaps for this weekend.  I'm using an older Gossamer Gear Mariposa pack since my weight is under 20 lbs with food and water.  This is a wet trail so I only need to carry a little. I'm using Evernew Ti's Appalachian Cook set which is a litter 450ml pot with collapsible alcohol/twig stove.  I've used it a few times when I was playing with gear before my AT Journey. For my spoon I grabbed something out of the drawer. This pack loads differently.  The shelter gets stuffed in a big side pocket.  The other side has 2 pockets.  The top one I use for the cook kit, the lower for water.  I stuff my quilt in first for the main compartment and set the food bag on top.  Everything else ets shoved in and around the food bag. Only a few items go in the big back stretchy pocket, like the map and bug spray.  The only thing swinging besides my legs is my water hose with the filter on the end.
.
I detoured to Kermashu Lake.  2 miles off my main route. This trail has seen better days, not abused, more like forgotten. It has some ups, some wet meadows, and a lot of downed trees.  I chose not to find my old campsite.  I took a few photos and moved on.

.
I got to my destination around 3:45.  Found an initial spot then realized someone had spilt oats near by and something else by a fire pit that attracts huge number of flies.  I moved a quarter of a mile a way. I don't have the best view but I will have a night sky view and a little of the lake.  A quick walk around the lake and I noticed a large number of campfire pits.  I thought this lake had a permanent fire ban within 1/4 of a mile.  Also a group is camped right on the trail between the lake and a waterfall.  You don't want to know what kind of flower I found shorty there after.  There is a lot of dead standing trees.  Campsite selection is crucial for everyone up here. So far just me and them.  Since it's still early, I'll say a few more show up by night fall.
.
You know how I hate wind, I'm liking the wind for now as it's keeping the local residents away from me. I doubt it will let up.  Wet weather is due to hit tomorrow afternoon. For now it's a bit warm up here.  I wonder what the night will bring.
.
The fellas across the lake made little noise last night.  Within my shelter I put my head near the doorway with the flaps pulled back.  I enjoyed watching the Big Dipper rotate around the North Star. Sleeping loosely covered the temp didn't bother me til the morning chill. I watched the sun hit the tops of the mountains and bemoaned getting up due to the presence of mosquitoes.  I made motion when the ball of furry hit my tent.
.
I didn't aim for 20 minutes to gone less coffee and privy.  I did make good time and the lack of mosquitoes was nice.  Once ready for the day I pulled out breakfast of oatmeal and a coffee oacket.  I found an 8 ounce sized nalgene recently and went for a cold one.  Alcohol stoves take to long to heat water just for a drink.
.
I followed a likely route up to McPherson Lake.  I crossed several, err, many seasonal ponds.  Stared eye to eye with a few monster bucks in velvet. Oh, what beauties they are even at 100 yards.
.
It's around 9:20 at McPherson's where I'm enjoying second breakfast after exploring the lower portion of upper Middle Basin.  The last trip here I explored the upper part and see no reason to tromp up there.  Here's to another cup of chug (cold instant coffee) and the sound of seasonal waterfalls with a nice breeze.
.
I followed the water down after looking into the upper basin.  There were a few natural waterfalls which made good photos. I took time watching my step so I did not have to down climb, only step down.
.
I didn't take many photos after I hit Ryder Lake as it's mostly forest trail and some meadows.
.
When I got back to the trailhead, I checked the signage.  Sure enough the whole basin has a permanent fire ban.  Most of the High Uinta's have fire restrictions.  Please folks the Forest Service cannot baby sit the users of the backcountry, it is up to us to manage ourselves accordingly.  Please practice good Leave No Trace methods.  I know a campfire is nice and is a good social experience for the backcountry but it leaves a scar on the land that many do not try to hide.  With the number of 'established' fire rings it sure felt crowded up there.  Please take only photos, make only memories, and leave only well buried privy stuff.  I'd rather not know someone was there until I read a trip report or saw a photo.  In order for the wilderness to be around for the next generation, this generation must take responsibility for managing and preserving it.  End rant.
.
The drive home went uneventful.  A knock on the door was a pleasant surprise by the little ones.  Their Mom offered me a plate of baked chicken for supper. I love my neighbors.  Thank you, it hit the spot for this hungry hiker.
.
Besides a little hiker hobble and a twang of sunburn on my arms, this was a good hike.
.
Hike On!

No comments: